Emily Loveridge founded the Good Samaritan School of Nursing in June 1890, making it the first school of nursing in the Northwest. In those days, the hospital was a wooden building housing 50 beds made of straw. It lacked electricity and instead utilized candles and gas lamps. As superintendent of the hospital, Emily Loveridge facilitated the progression of the hospital and nursing school over the years, documenting the exciting introduction of new technology such as an elevator and x-ray machine, the move from a wooden building to a brick building, and the tremendous changes that took place within the nursing field. When Miss Loveridge retired in 1930, she had successfully overseen the growth of the Good Samaritan Hospital from a small, struggling endeavor to a respected and well-known institution. Through the decades, the Good Samaritan School of Nursing worked through the Great Depression, aided in World War II efforts, and traversed the turbulent 60s and 70s with significant increases in student rights and personal freedoms. In 1985, in response to the national trend in nursing education to place the education of nurses in institutions of higher learning, Emily Loveridge's Good Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing became the Linfield College-Good Samaritan School of Nursing under the auspices of Linfield College.
This collection displays photographs taken throughout the history of the Linfield College-Good Samaritan School of Nursing. It includes images of the Good Samaritan Hospital and the Good Samaritan School of Nursing from the 1870s through the 2000s. The collection includes images of Emily Loveridge and family, employees, students, physicians, nurses, and alumni, and it captures the historical admittance of minorities and males. The collection also features a photo essay of Joanne Nelson, M.D., the first woman Chief Resident in 1980. These photographs help to document the expansion of health services, technological advances in medicine, and the larger societal changes that affected nursing education.